· 3 cups water
· 2 cups distilled white vinegar
· 1/4 cup pickling salt
· 5 medium cucumbers
· 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
· 5 generous sprigs of dill (flowering if possible)
· 10 peppercorns per mason jar
· red pepper flakes (optional)
· 5 pint sized canning jars
1. Rinse cucumbers under cold water. Lightly scrub with a clean sponge if dirty or still spiny.
2. Soak cucumbers in ice water overnight (or for 8 hours). This is what gives the pickles their crunch!
3. Sterilize mason jars (and lids) by washing with warm soapy water. Rinse, then place in a 175 degree oven for 25 minutes.
4. Bring the water, white vinegar and pickling salt to a boil. Allow to boil for 4 minutes, stirring to ensure pickling salt has evenly dissolved.
5. In each mason jar, place 1 clove of garlic (peeled and smashed), 10 peppercorns, and a big sprig of flowering dill.
6. Cut the cucumber into wedges and pack jars – leaving a small amount of room to shake the ingredients.
7. Pour hot brine into jars, filling to the top. Seal the jar tightly, and shake vigorously.
8. After jars have settled for 5 minutes, tighten further if possible.
9. Refrigerate, and enjoy as soon as 48 hours later. For best results, wait 2 weeks.